Friday, March 14, 2014

BOMs and Quilt Alongs

It's that time when all the new quilt alongs are starting.  There are so many out there.  This year  I am just in the mood to do a bunch.  I think doing my first Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt did it to me.  In December I Started bookmaking all the Quilt Alongs I could find I narrowed it down to these 10.   I had a lot longer list.  Now  I need a organized way to keep track of the web sites so I don't lose them so I thought I would just list them on my blog.  I know I will not do all of these but I don't want to lose the maybe ones.   Here they are in no real order.



1.....Benjamin Franklin Mystery Quilt from Erik at Homemade Coffee Break ezine  It's a block of the month that I started in January.  He posts the free pattern every month on his blog.  I have 4 blocks done but the blog is up to block 20.  I'm late to start. I have some catching up to do.  They will give the finale layout I think in about 3 months then give you a couple weeks to finish up so I hope I'm caught up by then.  After this block of the month they are going to start another one.  I really like this BOM its in red white and blue and I love the blocks and the fabric that Eric has used.


2......Little Bunny Quilts Starburst quilt along This quilt along is just done and is now for sale on craftsy.  I have all the block patterns saved so I can do it when ever.  I love the stars they are trickier piecing then I'm used to some are paper pieced inside seams etc.. and think they would be a challenge.  Haven't started this one but it's still on the maybe someday list.  Towards the bottom.


3.......Mc Calls Make It Your Way Quilt Along.  I started this one and I am caught up so far.  They post a new part every Friday  And it's 5 to 6 hours to get it done each week.  Most of my weekend sewing time. It runs until the last week in April .  So I'm hoping that I can get this done before I get really busy with work this spring.  I like this one they have a printed direction and a video direction every week.  The quilt has a center medallion layout that is a little more interesting then the standard Sampler BOM.  Don't think they'll mind if  I share a pic of the project.  This also is free.




4....................Legend and Lace Baskets Galore BOM  They are on block 8 I like about every other basket block so don't know if I want to make this one.  I am saving the block directions and may make a small or baby quilt out of just the blocks that I like.  The patterns are free I get an email every month I then follow the link to get the pattern emailed to me.  You have to save the pattern from the email with in 2 days before the link stops working.

5................Pat Sloan Globetrotting A free block of the month that started in January I can only say
I love it so far.  I am using red and white fabric and so far not counting the first large center block the blocks are easy and take about an hour to make.  So an hour a month is do able.

6...............Wishes Quilt along by Jolly Jabber

This one looks easy enough I like the scale of the blocks.  The patterns are free on the blog but they ask you to make a donation to make a wish on there blog donation page.  It's a BOM one block a month till December.  I do really want to do this one but I need to finish and get caught up one a few things before I dig a deeper hole.

7..... Quilters Newsletter has a star BOM called Ooh Rah.  It's free also and in blue and white.   I do have lots of blue to use up out of my stash so this one is tempting.


8.......Curlicue Creations Blog posts a 12" star quilt block of the month.  She is up to block 8.
Use them how you want.  They are fun to look at.

9.........Little Bunny Quilts Quilters Choice Quilt Along.  Started March 10 and they will post a free block every other week till July 28.  Quilters vote on the next block.
10......Judy at Patchwork Times has a  quilt along  called Tell It To The Stars  I like the quilts that 
Judy makes and plan on making this quilt as soon as I can decide on fabric.  Just can't decide.  I think the quilt will be more of a medallion setting.


So that's 10 BOM/quilt alongs I would like to do.  But that's way too many.  I'm doing 4 for sure.   Patchwork Times,  Mc Calls,  Pat Sloan,  and Eric's Benjamin Franklin  And who knows after that we'll see how these go for the next few months.  By then 2 of them should be done.  Then I'll see if
I think I can add another one or 2.








2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Have you seen the new one starting up soon by Barbara Brackman? It's at http://austenfamilyalbumquilt.blogspot.com/

Jeanne

Lynn said...

Thank you for your diligent work accumulating BOM information. It is the most encompassing piece I've seen.
Lynn
rlybutler@yahoo.com