Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Civil War Diary Sampler

Today should be called progress day. I finished the broken dishes top. I finished the scrappy mountains top( pictures tomorrow). And as a leader ender when I was sewing up the blocks of those 2 quilts I added the borders on this one. How many days can you sew up 3 quilt tops.
I used EQ to come up with some 6 inch blocks and made this sampler similar to civil war quilts I have seen on many blogs. I had planned on buying the book but the local quilt shop was out so I just started with a few blocks with EQ. I really enjoyed making up a few blocks and using some blocks that were already on EQ. The last 3 or 4 blocks that I made I just used up left over pieces from the first few not the best blocks but they worked not all the blocks can be shinning stars. Note the one in the bottom corner that looks like a H. What was I thinking. Get this last block done???

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both quilts are stunning. You are moving right along. You deserve the most accomplished award this week.

Karen said...

Both quilts are wonderful! Great job.

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Congrats on the finishes! Your sampler looks great! I really need to get back to my machine...

Teresa said...

Its a great quilt and totally yours since you put together the blocks of your choice. I also love your broken dishes quilt. I have one that looks very similar. My mom and I did it together. I made four patches, and you fold the 4 patch in side, sew up the sides and top, leaving an opening for turning, and then turn right side out. Insert a piece of batting the right size, stitch up the opening and quilt the little block. Then sew them all together and presto, a quilt is born. I made the four patches, she did all the quiltling and sewing the blocks together. I just love this quilt!

MARCIE said...

Great quilts! They really have a subtle old-fashioned look, which I love!