Wednesday, January 17, 2007
Here is a cake stand quilt the I finished today. The layout that I started with wasn't working. If the blocks weren't exactly perfect the center strips on the blocks really showed that they weren't straight. After sewing a few blocks together I new it would never look good and line up nice. I also didn't like that some of the baskets would be upside down. Here's a picture I took when I started the quilt.
The blocks look nice alone but not when they were put together. I also didn't have enough scraps to make all the blocks out of 2 fabrics. It would have to be more scrappy. So the project just got put on hold. I had the cake stand blocks mostly done but only a few stitched up with the strips. I took them apart.
I made a new layout using my EQ. And sewed them up the cake stand blocks are 5" square. The quilt is 55 x 45''. The binding will be the green that I used for the sashing corner squares. It looks different from the original plan. But the quilt is cute and soft in color. It will make a nice wall quilt or crib quilt.